Breastfeeding offers numerous benefits to the new moms – one out of them being the potential to lose weight faster post childbirth. The time needed to shed out those extra kilos after delivery vary from woman to woman. Typically, breastfeeding burns 500-700 calories a day but in order to lose weight while breastfeeding, it is very important to consult your doctor and take recommendations for the number of calories you need to consume daily.
Factors That Affect Weight Loss After Pregnancy
There are a number of factors that affect the pace of losing the weight that has been gained during the pregnancy. The factors include:
- Frequency of exercising, and
- The amount of weight gained during pregnancy
Generally, it takes six to nine months to lose those extra kilos. This all depends on how much weight you have put on during the pregnancy. Some women never lose all of the weight. It is common to lose 4-5 kgs easily after delivery because of the baby weight, placenta and amniotic fluid. However, the amount may vary from mother to mother as it depends upon the weight of the baby and whether you retained much fluid during pregnancy.
For initial weight loss, you’ll need to take fewer calories than burned to lose more weight. While breastfeeding, it is easier to do so as breastfeeding alone burns approx. 500-700 calories per day.
How many calories does a mother need while breastfeeding?
Based upon your lifestyle, you may need to consume the following number of calories in order to lose weight faster:
- Sedentary lifestyle: 2200 – 2400 calories a day
- Moderately active lifestyle: 2400 – 2600 calories a day
- Active lifestyle: 2600 – 2800 calories a day
Also check out "Weight Loss Planning Calculator for Women & Men" from Fitness Volt
Make sure your choice of foods during breastfeeding and weight loss is nutritious enough. You may include the following foods to your diet:
- Green vegetables
- Lean protein
- Whole grains
Try to avoid the following foods:
- White bread
- Baked food
- Junk or fast food
Tips To Lose Weight Faster While Breastfeeding
Here are some tips that you can follow to ensure a fast and healthy weight lose while breastfeeding:
- Less carbohydrates: Try to lower the consumption of carbohydrates if you are trying to lose weight after pregnancy. Instead, you can add lean protein, fruits and vegetables to your diet for quick weight loss.
- Safe exercises: Try to do simple exercises every day. You can start with walking for at least 30 minutes a day. It is the best exercise for new mothers and it helps in managing body weight also.
- Stay hydrated: It is crucial to stay hydrated during breastfeeding. Try to drink 8-12 glasses of water every day. Drinking water helps the body to flush out any water weight.
- No skipping of meals: Skipping meals is a bad option for quick weigh loss. Instead, it makes losing weigh difficult. Also, a breastfeeding mother should never skip meals as a lot of energy is required to feed the baby be active throughout the day.
- Eat more frequently: Eating after every two hours is very important for quick weight loss. Do not overeat at once. Try to take small portions during meals.
- Rest when you can: It is difficult to take rest while performing the duties of a new mother but try to get sleep as and when possible. It can help you body to recover and lose weight faster.