Saudi Arabia has rejected as “baseless” recent reports published by Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch alleging that detainees in the Kingdom were exposed to torture.
“These recent reports by Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch are baseless,” the Ministry of Media confirmed in a statement on its official Twitter account, in response to a report published on Nov. 20.
The ministry said it categorically denies the allegations that are quoted from unknown “statements” or “uninformed sources” and are “simply fabricated and incorrect.”
Of late, Saudi Arabia has been in the eye of a storm over the vanishing of Jamal Khashoggi, the Washington Post columnist and Saudi citizen.
Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir recently reiterated that the authorities in the Kingdom are more determined than those in any other country that the people guilty of killing Jamal Khashoggi should be held to account.
The death of the Saudi journalist, who was killed in the Kingdom’s consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2, provoked international outrage. Al-Jubeir said that the pursuit of justice for the slain journalist is first and foremost a Saudi demand, ahead of any call for action from other countries.
In an interview with Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper, the minister said Saudi Arabia was investigating the case because it involved a Saudi citizen, and that anyone with information should contact the Saudi judiciary and pass it on. Saudi Arabia’s public prosecutor is seeking the death penalty for five of 11 suspects so far charged with murdering journalist.
The Kingdom’s top diplomat also talked about the strong links between the Saudi leaders and their people. He said that any attack on the Kingdom’s leadership, represented by King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, represents a red line and there will be no tolerance of any moves against the leadership or for “any attempts to undermine…our leadership by anyone, under any pretext.”